According to the legend, nougat was born in 1441 during the marriage of Francesco Sforza and Bianca Maria Visconti.
The bride and groom were offered a sweet made with honey, almonds and egg white, in the form of Torrazzo or “torrione”, the thirteenth century tower (of Cremona cathedral), from which the Italian word for nougat, “Torrone”, would seem to take its name.
During the nineteenth century in Cremona many groceries were producing the nougat by hand.
Secondo Vergani worked as a grocer’s boy in Porta Venezia. In 1881 he acquired the shop and started devoting himself to the production of nougat.
Find Vergani products on meDINEterranean